Monday, September 2, 2013

Toughest Lady I've Ever Met!!

It's Monday night and my family apologizes for not updating the blog sooner...it's been a very busy and challenging couple of days but I'm going to try and get you caught up...

This is Adam, Mary's son, and I took over for Julie and David on Thursday night and got the chance to stay with her until my Dad came up on Friday. Friday was a very tough day, I'm not going to sugarcoat things...the Team of doctors came in that morning and had some pretty challening things to say to Mom (and partly to me as well). They explained to us that the pneumonia that Mom has is a very challenging form and they believed it was a "fungal" pneumonia.  As you probably already realize, Mom's immune system is non-existent because of her leukemia and she's been having to get transfusions for blood and platelets since arriving at the hospital over a week ago. Viral pneumonia would have been challening enough for her to deal with due to her condition but to know that she's facing a steep uphill battle with this fungal pneumonia had us all very nervous.  Thankfully you all were praying for her and although you might not have known specifically what to pray for, your prayers were still paying dividends!! 

My biggest concern when we woke up on Friday morning was making sure that Mom was ready for the current battle that she was facing.  The previous few days as well as Friday morning had her feeling very lethargic and the medicine that she was taking was making her very weak and sleepy most of the time. I knew I had my work cut out for me that day because they were telling her that she needed to have a bronchoscopy which is where they take a camera down her throat into her lungs in order to look at her lungs and get a sample to find out the specific type of fungal pneumonia she had.  Talking her into that was NOT going to be easy because she already told Dad the day before that it "wasn't going to happen!"  Well, after her and I got back from her CT scan she was getting some rest and God sent a little Angel into the room, her name is Dr. Jessica Altman, mom's leukemia doctor.  She was a sight for sore eyes because any time she comes in to see Mom you can instantly see Mom's mood and attitude change for the better.  It was no different on that Friday afternoon, Dr. Altman has a way about her and a calmness that gives Mom and our entire family confidence that she can move forward and dominate whatever hurdle is ahead of her. 

Dr. Altman looked right at me and said "she can beat this pneumonia, I have no doubts about that".  So then I said "Dr., I believe in her as well, she's about the toughest person I've ever met!"  Apparently I was "way off" because Dr. came right back and said "Adam, let me correct you...she IS the toughest person that I have ever met!!"  She went on to say that she has treated a lot of patients during her time as a leukemia doctor and she's never seen anyone who has been stronger and more determined than Mom.  We've learned a lot more about what she means over the last few days...Mom's not supposed to be here right now, there is no data to support her making it through 3 other rounds and now going on to beat it for a 4th time.  She's in uncharted territory because there is no data on her chances of survival to beat this leukemia again...and when the doctors told us on Sunday that they give her a 50/50 chance to beat the pneumonia I figured those odds are pretty incredible!!  Much higher than any odds she's had before!  In all seriousness, she is already our "miracle Mom", and we had/have no doubts that she can make it past all of this again.  God has used her in so many ways over the past 4 years, and she's touched lives that we probably don't even know about.  We haven't been able to figure out why God "chose" her to carry this disease, but the farther along we go the more we realize that He is the only one in control.  He alone knows the reasons, but we have hope that He will continue to use her for his glory no matter what her outcome might be! 

Later on Friday she ended up moving forward with the bronchoscopy after getting the encouragement that she needed from Dr. Altman.  All of my siblings and spouses joined me at the hospital so that we could all be there with her without the kiddos.  And while I'm thinking about it...thank you to all of you who have reached out and either offered support and actually taken a role in helping in some way, you are amazing and we can't do this without each of you!  That visit seemed to jumpstart her mood and a shift started to occur...she had perked up some and was talking and interacting more...which was a great sign to all of us.  Saturday then came around and we ended up bringing the kids up to see her, and it was like we were at 213 E. Lincoln St....kids running around everywhere, people eating food and candy, conversations that were way to loud for a hospital...and right in the middle of it all was Mom, loving every second of it!  Uncle Joe and Aunt Cheryl came by with their daugher Sarah, and then later her sister Sue visited with her daughter Jenni and husband Mark (Sha right!), and I know she enjoyed that as well.  All the while my Dad was there all weekend, helping her in any way that he could...I've been very proud of him each and every time she's been through this, but especially this time because this is definitely the toughest it has been for her...and he's barely left her side! 

I'm almost done, hang in there!!  Sunday was the reunion, and I know Mom was really looking forward to that day, but she obviously could not be at Sue's for the festivities.  Thanks to technology we were able to Facetime her and everyone got a chance to say hello even if it was just for a second or two.  It was a great time being together but it wasn't the same without my Mom and Dad there.  We were able to update the family and prayed together, about 100 people strong!!  It was decided that day that all of my Mom's siblings were going to try and get up there today to see her, and I'm told that many of them were able to go and spend some quality time with her. It must have paid off because while Bre and I were at dinner with our kids we received a picture from Julie that showed my Mom, her niece Kim, and her best friend Kathy taking a walk with her around her floor!!!   It was an awesome sight to see because that can only mean one thing...she's getting stronger and continuing her fight...remember, she's the toughest lady that we've ever met!!!  Needless to say the weekend ended very well to see Mom moving around, conversing with friends and family, and eating some food in order to get her strength back.  We still don't know what type of specific pneumonia she has but just keep praying that it goes away because they cannot start any chemo to treat her leukemia until she has overcome this pneumonia. 

That's all for now, thanks for being patient, and thanks for your love and support.  Get up there to see her when you can, she would love to see you...and if you can't make it then write something on her blog or send her a text. We'll update again soon, God Bless and love to you all - DO WORK MOMMA!!

3 comments:

  1. Keep fighting Mary. You're an inspiration to us all. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there ANY WONDER why she keeps fighting like she does???!!! You kids bless MY heart...so I KNOW what you do to hers! She lives for YOU and her GRANDKIDS!!!

    Lord, Because You have instructed us in Your Word that we are to pray for one another so that we may be healed, I pray for healing and wholeness for Mary. I pray that sickness and infirmity will have no place or power in her life. I pray for protection against any disease coming into her body. Your Word says, “He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions” (Psalm 107:20). Wherever there is disease, illness, or infirmity in her body, I pray that You would touch her, Lord, with Your healing power and restore her to total health.

    Specifically, I ask You to heal any cancer and pneumonia that may have re-erupted in her body or anything related to it. Give her doctors wisdom and full knowledge of how to proceed.

    Thank You, Lord, that You suffered and died for us so that we might be healed. I lay claim to that heritage of healing which You have promised in Your Word and provided for those who believe. I look to You for a life of health, healing, and wholeness for my friend.

    In Jesus' powerful Name.....Amen


    We love you, Mary!

    Laurie Pfeifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying each day brings you renewed strength and a healthier, happier you. Thinking of All of you.
    Beth Miller

    ReplyDelete